Operation Breakthrough - Child Protection Policy
Children have the right to participate in sport in a safe and enjoyable environment - this right is enshrined in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The basic principles of this policy are:-
All children have the right to participate, enjoy and develop through sport, in a safe and inclusive environment, free from all forms of abuse, violence, neglect and exploitation.
Everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect and not be discriminated against based on gender, race, age, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, beliefs, religious or political affiliation.
Organisations providing sports activities to children have a duty of care to them and a responsibility to support the protection of young people.
Of paramount importance to Operation Breakthrough is the safety, well-being and security of all involved including participants, volunteers, social workers and coaches; there is zero tolerance towards any acts of violence, harassment, threats, bullying, indecent or untoward conduct against or by anyone involved in Operation Breakthrough.
Operation Breakthrough will seek to create a safe environment by:
A.Establishing a Child Protection Pledge for all persons involved in Operation Breakthrough (adults and young people) which outlines required standards of behavior.
Providing written guidelines and training and education for volunteers and coaches on child protection policy and procedures.
Clearly communicating the Policy and Pledge to protect children and keep them safe both within the organisation and externally.
Requiring all full time and part time Operation Breakthrough employees to complete a Sexual Conviction Record Check (SCRC), and all volunteers and coaches to sign a declaration that they have not been convicted of an offence specified under the SCRC.
Providing clear reporting procedures for cases of abuse, and a transparent investigative process.
The implementation of the Child Protection policy will be established through the following:
Training & Education
Volunteer & Coach Declaration
Reporting & Investigative Procedures
Child Protection and safety pledge
I pledge to do the following when I am involved in Operation Breakthrough activities with children and young people;
1. I will make sure my own behaviour is calm and respectful and I will be clear about the standards of behaviour I expect from children and young people.
2. If there is anger and disagreements between children and young people I will call a time out and try to resolve the issues calmly.
3. I will not try to punish a child by mocking, teasing, or laughing at them or trying to embarrass them in front of others.
4. I will not hit or strike a child as punishment for bad behaviour.
5. I will not behave sexually toward a child or touch them in a sexual way.
6. I will do everything I can to make sure the physical environment where the children are playing is as safe and appropriate as possible.
As a member of Operation Breakthrough activities and events I agree to help to protect myself and other people in these ways;
1. I understand that I should be able to participate in sport safely.
2. I will tell an adult I trust if anything concerns or worries me.
3. I will respect myself and behave respectfully - politely, considerately and thoughtfully - towards other people.
4. I will try to keep calm if there is a disagreement.
5. I understand that other people should not be allowed to hit me, bully me, or shout at me to upset or scare me. I will take care not to hurt, bully or shout at other people.
6. I understand that neither I should be touched in a sexual manner by other people, nor should I act in a sexual way towards other children.